Become an Alumni Mentor
Established by UC San Diego Alumni and the Career Center, Take a Triton to Work matches UC San Diego alumni with current students for career exploration and/or professional development conversations. This program appeals to alumni who want to provide insight to current students interested in their industries or career fields, and students who are exploring career options and preparing for their future.
- September 20: Alumni volunteer for Winter session
- October 26: Student Mentee Orientation sessions begin and students are able to search and find Alumni Mentors
- November 22: All unmatched participants will be paired
- November 29: Registration for participation in the Winter session closes
- December 13-17 or at a preferred time that works well for the Mentor and Student: Meetups happen
How do I participate?
- Join/Login to Tritons Connect.
- Complete/edit your profile by clicking on “Edit Profile” in the upper right-hand corner
- Upload a photo
- Add information about your Job Title, Company, Industry and Job Function.
- In the Summary Section, write a response to this question, “Why do you want to be a Take a Triton to Work Mentor?”
- Scroll down to the “Offer Mentoring” section and check Take a Triton to Work
- Include professional experience and/or simply link your LinkedIn profile, and more.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Save” to save all changes
- A student will review your alumni profile as part of a directory and will send an introductory message to you through Tritons Connect to request your help as an Alumni Mentor.
- Upon receipt, you will review and accept one pending request and will send the Student Mentee a responding message.
- Communications will follow between you and your Student Mentee to coordinate a virtual career conversation.
Some students, especially first year undergrads, may prefer to be matched with an Alumni Mentor. For this group, we will use the platform’s proprietary algorithm to pair a Student Mentee with you based on their academic emphasis and career interests.
Triton connections are valuable. Some of the most influential experiences for Triton students and alumni are when they have the opportunity to connect and engage with one another – whether in-person or virtually. Take a Triton to Work allows students to connect virtually with alumni and explore their aspirational career paths without the pressure of grades or full-time internship commitments. A half-hour of your time can help a student gain confidence, make decisions, explore new career paths and build their network.
The meeting itself is dependent on your time and the nature of your industry and profession. Ideally, the experience will be a friendly career conversation where your student can learn more about your career field and the path that took you from UC San Diego to where you are today. Similarly, you are welcome to ask your student questions to gain insight about them, the university and today’s learning experience.