Take a Triton to Work: Hosts
Become a Host
Take a Triton to Work presents a meaningful way for an alumni professional to positively impact the life of a student via a professional development conversation or job shadowing experience. Alumni have the opportunity to share valuable career insights, while students gain real world perspectives in potential fields of interest and industries. Scheduling is flexible, based on the preference of the participants, and meetups can take place in-person or virtually.
- Now through Nov. 5: Alumni hosts sign up by completing/updating their Tritons Connect profile. and opt-in (See details in “How do I participate?”)
- Nov. 6: Match Day: Alumni and students are paired.
- Nov. 6-Dec. 8: Students reach out to introduce themselves and confirm a meetup.
- Dec. 18-Jan. 5: Meetups take place during Winter Break* (in-person and virtual).
*Alumni hosts and students can choose an alternate date that works best for them.
How do I participate?
- Join/login to Tritons Connect.
- Complete/update your profile by clicking on “Edit Profile” in the upper right-hand corner.
- Upload a photo.
- Add information about your Job Title, Company, Industry and Job Function.
- Scroll down to the “Offer Mentoring” section and check “Take a Triton to Work.”
- Connect and sync your LinkedIn profile under "Settings" on the top right or enter your professional experience.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “save.”
Pro-Tip: Your complete Tritons Connect community profile serves as a reflection of you and is essential for student matching, engaging with others, networking and personal branding.
- Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Some of the most influential experiences for UC San Diego students and alumni are when they have the opportunity to connect and engage with one another. This program allows current students to partner with alumni to explore their aspirational career paths without the pressure of a grade or full-time internship commitment. Experiences vary from a coffee chat to a job shadowing experience mirroring a typical day at a workplace and can be in-person or virtual career conversations. The length and structure of the opportunity is determined by you, the alumni host.
- Share knowledge and expertise about work and careers, as well as personal stories about pathways to success and potential challenges.
- Assist UC San Diego students with their career development.
- Build a stronger Triton network through relationships with students who may someday be employees or colleagues.
- Increase company brand recognition and build a potential pipeline for future opportunities at your organization.
To be paired with a student for the next session, join/sign in to Tritons Connect, opt in as a Take a Triton to Work Mentor and complete/update your profile by Sunday, November 5.
- To view your profile, click on your small round profile photo in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
- Click on “Edit Profile” to change or add information as you wish.
- Scroll down to the “Offer Mentoring” section, choose “Take a Triton to Work.”
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Save”.
Participating alumni and students will be paired and notified on Monday, November 6, 2023. After you’ve been matched, you are welcome to sit back and wait for your student to send you a message. Or you can reach out and introduce yourself to start the conversation. When exchanging information or confirming the meetup, please respond to communications in a timely manner.
During the 2023-24 academic year, career exploration meetups will occur twice.
- Winter Break: Mon., Dec. 18, 2023, to Fri., Jan. 5, 2024
- Spring Break: Mon., March 25, to Fri., March 29, 2024
For the initial Winter Break session, alumni and students will be paired on November 6 and prompted to reach out and confirm their preference for either an in-person or virtual meetup, to occur between December 18 - January 5, (Winter Break).If the date range is not convenient, the paired host and student can choose a date that works best for them.
Career conversation logistics are based on your time, what you can offer, the nature of your industry and profession, and you and your student’s availability. Ideally, the mutually beneficial experience will be a friendly informational conversation where your student can learn more about your career field and the path that took you from UC San Diego to where you are today. You are welcome to offer a job shadowing experience, time for a coffee chat or a virtual meetup. Additionally, you can ask questions to gain insight about your student, the university and today’s higher education learning experience.
While the program is geared toward undergraduate students, all students can participate.