Take a Triton to Work: Students
Become a Student Participant
The Take a Triton to Work externship (job shadowing) program provides students seeking career and professional guidance an opportunity to meet with an industry professional (host) working in their field of interest. Scheduling is flexible, based on the preference of the participants, and can take place in-person or virtually, during a full- or partial-day workplace session. Get valuable career insights as you explore your next steps.
How do I participate?
- Join/Login to Tritons Connect.
- Complete/edit your profile by clicking on “Edit Profile” in the upper right-hand corner.
- Upload a photo.
- Include academic, volunteer/special interest information and experience
- In the Summary Section, write a response to this question, “What do you hope to gain from a career-exploration conversation?”
- Scroll down to the “Seek Mentoring” section and select “Take a Triton to Work.”
- Include professional experience (and/or simply link to your LinkedIn profile under "Settings" on the top right).
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and save your changes.
- Click on “Jobs” in the left-hand column and filter by "Employment Type."
- Choose Job Shadowing/Externship to view available Externship opportunities.
- Apply for one or two opportunities that seem right for you and keep on the lookout to receive a response.
- Communications will follow between you and your host to coordinate the job shadowing experience.
- Need help? Feel free to register and attend a Student Workshop or book an appointment with a Career Consultant on Handshake.
- Questions? Contact email@example.com
Watch Student Workshop
As a UC San Diego student, you have access to a robust Tritons Connect network – alumni, employers, parents, staff and faculty – who are willing to meet and interact with you, and share more about their personal and professional journey following graduation. The Take a Triton to Work externship (job shadowing) program provides you and other students seeking career and professional guidance an opportunity to meet with an industry professional working in a potential field of interest.
An externship is a short-term job shadowing opportunity – typically a full- or partial-day experience that may include in-person or virtual tours, an opportunity to attend meetings, events or appointments, sitting in on client interactions, assisting with a small project or general office tasks and/or meeting with the host and/or other individuals to talk about what they do.
- Explore a career field, industry or job function.
- Experience the workplace and get an inside perspective of a particular organization.
- Make Triton career connections.
- Gain real-world, practical experience and practice networking.
- You will review and apply for one or more Job Shadowing/Externships in Tritons Connect
- Upon receipt of a responding message from a host, communications will follow to coordinate the job shadowing experience.
Student Workshops will include details about how you can search, identify and apply for an opportunity via Tritons Connect. We will discuss strategies for making the most out of your externship experience, the importance of showing initiative and how to follow through to build meaningful connections and relationships.
The length and structure of the externship is determined by the host and may range from a virtual career exploration experience, to an in-person job shadowing visit. This is an opportunity for you to learn more about your host’s career choice and the path that led them there. Similarly, you are encouraged to share insights about yourself, the university and discuss the day’s learning experience.
While the program is geared toward graduating senior students, all class levels may apply.